English - Writing
What is the English Writing Vision at Lee Chapel?
Simply, the teaching of reading and writing is at the very core of everything at Lee Chapel. As such we strive for excellence because of the importance of the subject at school and beyond.
At Lee Chapel, we aim to provide a broad and balanced curriculum for English with a focus on a variety of text types - both modern and classic - as well as film clips and other mediums. These rich, quality stimuli are used as inspiration for writing as well as providing the best opportunities to broaden and improve children’s understanding of vocabulary. Every child at Lee Chapel should not only leave being able to confidently and competently read, write and speak aloud but to also love doing so.
At Lee Chapel, our expectations for English Writing are:
- Whole school teaching of English 1 hour per day – this is inclusive of opportunities for the teaching of reading, writing in a range of different styles and genres, opportunities for speaking and listening, and dedicated sessions for handwriting and spellings
- Wondrous Words – applying the teaching of vocabulary to the classroom by selecting and using a range of exciting language in our writing from the books used within our English sessions.
- From Year 1 to Year 6 - 1 hour per week - Big Write lessons
- Creative Writing Week – an annual event inviting children to become story tellers
- Creative Writing after school clubs
Termly formal assessments and continued teacher assessments of each child’s progress is measured. Part of this is represented in a termly, independent piece of writing that starts in Reception and follows the children through to Year 6 in a single book. With this embedded assessment our pupils are able to accomplish a rounded understanding of English enabling them to apply their skills to their future endeavours.
Mr A Toomer and Miss S Moore
English Writing Leads